Wednesday 19 October 2011

River Cottage Veg Every Day

I can't tell you how excited I was when I discovered Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall was starting a new series. I must say that the news that it was going to be only Veg, dampened the spirits slightly. When I got used to the idea though I was quite looking forward to seeing what the first episode had to offer.
Last night we got the fire on in anticipation, snuggled up on the couch, ready to ooooh and aaah our way through the first episode. In the opening few minutes we see Hugh prepare a Bacon Sandwich. He gently fries both back and streaky till the fat starts to caramelise, then layers the butter on two fat slices of crusty homemade white bread (Oh this is going to be good I think to myself, mouth watering already), then to my horror he decides that maybe no, he will begin his veggie quest from here, Oh the torture, sitting in a country a  million miles away from any where selling decent bacon, I find myself shouting at the screen "for the love of God just eat the bloody sandwich!!!!". It pretty much went down hill from there.
I have to say, I was disappointed. I was always going to be a tough one to win over being a lover of all things meaty, but I was willing to give it a go. In fairness I can understand the benefits of a Meat Free diet. But Bloomin Nora my mouth didn't water again after those initial few minutes. Hugh's Summer Veg Soup, left me, (and Hugh I'd imagine)  feeling a bit empty. And as I sat and watched, on a cold Montreal night, dish after dish of, lets be fair beautiful and no doubt tasty Vegetable dishes, I couldn't help feeling slightly cheated.
Most of the interesting dishes were so complicated you'd need the whole day to prepare them, and also seemed to need a vast array of ingredients. And the less complicated were just kind of weird ( Carrot Cashew and Orange Salad served with Boiled Rice and Leeks and Greens cooked in Coconut milk.....Any takers??? Thought not!!!)
So, although I have every intention of watching the rest of the series, in the hope of being somewhat inspired (I've given up on any fantasy of drooling or heading on a vegetarian quest myself!). I will be looking forward to Hugh returning to churning out dish after dish of delicious, mouthwatering, succulent, fingerlickin, sumptuous meaty dishes in hopefully the next series!

http://www.rivercottage.net/users/River%20Cottage%20Veg%20Every%20Day!/

1 comment: