Tuesday 3 July 2012

Elderflower Cordial





Every year I get excited when the elderflower comes out in full bloom. I was always a big fan of elderflower cordial, so when I discovered that it is so easy to make, I couldn't wait to give it a go. I've been making it every year for the last few years now, though this year I lost my initial recipe so I basically made it up with a few tips from various different recipes and what I could remember myself!

Ingredients:
30 large Elderflower heads
2 large lemons
2 large oranges
2 litres mineral water
2kg sugar
75g citric acid

Method:
Shake any small insects from the elderflowers, then, remove the main stem (the smaller ones are fine to put in). Thinly slice the oranges and lemons, then layer with the elderflowers in a large tub. Pour the water over and cover with a loose fitting lid. Give the mixture a light press occasionally to help the flavours infuse. Leave for 24 hours,(the longer you leave it the better the flavour, but be careful not to leave it too long or it will begin to ferment, and have an slightly sweaty taste). Strain into a muslin and leave to drain. Do not be tempted to squeeze the muslin to speed up the process or you will end up with a cloudy cordial. It's best to leave it overnight if possible. Return the infused liquid to a thick bottomed pan, add the sugar and citric acid and heat through until all the sugar has dissolved. Pour into sterilised bottles and seal. Enjoy on a hot summers day with lots of ice cold water and a lemon slice! :OP

It is best to pick the flowers on a warm summers day to get the best flavour possible!




Also having helpers makes the whole process more enjoyable, thank you Chloe and Sandra! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment